Tax Assessment ListsClick here to download the 2023 Assesment Roll
Click here to download the 2022 Assessment Roll
Click here to download the 2021 Assessment Roll
Click here to download the 2020 Assessment Roll
Click here to download the 2019 Assessment Roll
School Support Declaration of Faith
All individuals who own property located in a municipality where both a Public School District and a Roman Catholic Separate School District exist, are required to file this notice when a property is acquired. An individual may file a notice at any subsequent time.
Click here to download the form
Assessments for all types of property are prepared annually by accredited municipal assessors appointed by the town and governed by provincial legislation and regulation.
Assessments are based on market conditions as of July 1 of the previous year and on the properties physical condition and characteristics as of December 31 of the previous year.
Assessors obtain required information through many means including site inspections, building permits and blueprints, aerial imagery, GIS data, sales information from Alberta Registries, MLS data, industry publications and by annual written requests. Learn more about request for information surveys RFI's.
The property assessment is used to fairly distribute the annual tax revenue requirements throughout the municipality.
Each year, the town of Pincher Creek Administration and Council determine the cost and the municipal budget required to provide local services, including but not limited to:
· Bylaw enforcement
· Community and social services
· Library resources
· Park maintenance
· Planning for future infrastructure
· Protective Services (Police, Fire and Ambulance)
· Road construction and maintenance, including snow clearing
The majority of the revenue required is collected by way of property taxation under authority of the Municipal Government Act (statute of Alberta). Other areas of revenue collection are government grants and user fees.
The annual property assessment is used to distribute the tax burden fairly throughout the municipality
Assessment x Municipal Tax Rate / 1000 = Property Tax
The tax amount on your Assessment and Tax Notice is for taxes levied from January to December of the current year.
1. Municipal Levy - This amount is paid directly to the Town of Pincher Creek and pays for municipal infrastructure, facilities, service and programs.
2. School Levy - This amount is collected by the Town of Pincher Creek and paid directly to Province of Alberta, for maintenance and development of the school system. The amount of school funds paid by each municipality is based on population and the tax base. All municipalities must collect and forward these funds to the Province.
3. Senior Housing - This amount is collected by the Town of Pincher Creek and paid directly to the Pincher Creek Foundation and helps pay for senior housing in our area. If applicable, all municipalities must collect and forward these funds.
You have until June 30th to pay your current taxes without penalty. Any account not paid in full as of July 1st will be penalized 12% of the current outstanding balance.
If taxes are not paid by January 1st of the following year, an additional 10% will be applied to the total outstanding balance.
If you have questions concerning your property assessment or you feel that your assessment is inaccurate you should inquire with the Assessor by filling out an inquiry form.
The assessor will contact you to discuss your concerns and may request amongst other things, documentation (appraisals, sales docs, lease information, plans, etc.) relating to your opinion of value for this property and/or inspect the property to determine if an error was made. If the assessor agrees the original notice is not accurate, a corrected notice may be issued. Assessment reviews and possible amendments only pertain to the current assessment notice.
If after speaking with the assessor, you still feel that your assessment does not accurately reflect a fair and equitable value of your property at July 1 of the previous year, then there is a formal appeal process to file an assessment appeal. This is done through the municipality’s Assessment Review Board. Forms and information to file the assessment appeal can be obtained from the Assessment Review Board Clerk at Town.
An assessment appeal fee must be submitted with the complaint form and this fee is only refunded if the assessment is amended.
- Assessment Review Board Complaint Form
- Assessments Complaints Agent Authorization Form
- Assessment Review Board Filing Fees Bylaw
An assessment complaint does not exempt you from paying your taxes by the due date or from late payment penalties.
Corrections to the name or address of the assessed person(s) or their school support status may be made without filing a complaint. Contact the Town of Pincher Creek Tax Department at 403-627-3156 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Single Family Residential = $50
Multi-family Residential (more than 3 units) = $500
Non-Residential (Commercial) = $500
*If your appeal is successful, your money will be refunded
For more information about assessment complaints and appeals please visit Municipal Affairs website.
- 2017 rates ... Residential: 12.361 Non-Residential: 15.8103
- 2018 rates ... Residential: 12.6476 Non-Residential: 16.2372
- 2019 rates ... Residential: 12.449 Non-Residential: 16.228
- 2020 rates ... Residential: 12.5386 Non-Residential: 16.3688
- 2021 rates ... Residential: 12.6656 Non-Residential: 16.5512
- 2022 rates ... Residential: 13.1023 Non-Residential: 16.8519
- 2023 rates ... Residential: 11.9502 Non-Residential: 15.683
- The most recent tax levy on your property is divided by 12 months
- From January to June we debit your account for this amount
- In May you will receive your Tax/Assessment Notice showing the actual levy for the current year and the adjusted amount you will pay on TIPP starting with your July payment
You may sign up for this program by December 15th of the year prior to deductions being taken out. Exceptions may be made to the above deadline by contacting the Town Office or you can download the application here which you will need to drop off at the Town Office.
Kevin Lawrence, AMAA.
KCL Consulting Inc.
Or submit your inquiry online by clicking here.
- Operational Services
- Recreation Facilities